Re: leading columns in an index

From: Ryan_Mioko <Ryan_Mioko_at_email.msn.com>
Date: Wed, 21 Feb 2001 10:55:35 -0500

> Is this for a midterm exam, a final, or just a homework >assignment?

:) Yea, I know what you mean. But for what its worth here is my story:

In fact, I'm a philosophy student and I'm intrested in computers. I've bought the Oracle DBA manuals and lab books and study them on the weekends. Unfortunatly, since I'm not a computer science major my school has been reluctant to grant me access to their Oracle resources; and the books I'm reading ask these "bonus" questions which aren't answered directly in the text of the chapter.

So, I thought I'd come to this newsgroup and seek the help of the community here.

My second question is:
in an index with more than one column how is uniquness identified?  My guess was that Oracle performed a concatination procedure and treated the two columns as one...but this idea isn't confirmed anywhere in the text.

While I'm thinking of it, I've bought the DBA manual from Oracle (which is not easy to read at all) and the PL/SQL lab from Prentice Hall, which is very simple but asumes one has access to an Oracle system. What good books are there out there?

Thanks all,
Ryan Received on Wed Feb 21 2001 - 16:55:35 CET

Original text of this message