Student needs help for his thesis !

From: devnix <devnix_NOSPAM_at_mailandnews.com>
Date: Tue, 13 Feb 2001 18:36:13 GMT

Hello,

I am a student in engineering and I need help for my thesis. I have to do a software which will manage the process of a small compagny
(see information about the workflow etc...)

I have to create a client application which would communicate with a DB server. The database must run under Solaris (and should be able to run under Windows),  and must be relational and support SQL. For the client, they would like to use StarOffice (to manipulate data retrieved  by SQL...) if possible, as they already use it for their activities.

So I was wondering:
- do you know such a database, and which is relatively simple to handle? I tried to install Oracle but it's pretty hard ! they talk about recompiling the kernel  and such things (?)... without doing that the install freezes on my sparc :( Is there a simplier database which runs on solaris & windows? (or do you know how to make Oracle work?)

Any help would be welcome!
Thanks !

devnix <devnix AT mailandnews DOT com> Received on Tue Feb 13 2001 - 19:36:13 CET

Original text of this message