Re: rownum

From: Niall Litchfield <n-litchfield_at_audit-commission.gov.uk>
Date: Wed, 7 Feb 2001 10:59:24 -0000

"Biss Is Ignorance" <bliss_is_ignorance_at_hotmail.com> wrote in message news:3a7fd18c.0_at_news2.tm.net.my...
> hi,
>
> i think i don't understand what you want.... but from what i can figure
 out
> ur problem seems for example
> Select sales_amt from sales;
> now u want to display the top 10 records
>
> if that's the case u could try
> Select sales_amt from sales where rownum <= 10 order by sales_amt;
>
> however this is not the most effective method in terms of performance

Well I guess it depends on what you mean by 'performance'. If you mean what I generally regard as 'performance' viz working faster then I don't see your argument. Why is this statement slower than an ordered inline view? If however by 'performance' you mean 'doesn't return the correct results' then you've hit the nail on the head.

--
Niall Litchfield
Oracle DBA