Re: Oracle 8.1.7 release 3 for linux installation disks query

From: Sam Nelson <sam_at_ssrl.org.uk>
Date: 2 Feb 2001 16:11:16 GMT

In article <981066939.179143_at_romulus.infonie.fr>,  "frank.sara" <frank.sara_at_infonie.fr> writes:
> If you use the oracle's CD, you get 2 cds because a cd can't hold more than
> 640 Meg. but the tar file is only one file.

And you get into deep shit when the installer asks for the second CD, because at that point you can't unmount the first one because there are live processes with files open on it. Of course, you _may_ have copied the entire contents of both onto internal disk first...

I ended up creating the database by hand when the dbassist thing hung. Oracle support tell me it hangs for a lot of people, but they didn't explain why. Then I had to go to Oracle Technical Note 103855.1 to find out how to embed the JServer stuff. I _think_ it's working---at least, no-one's come back to complain this past fortnight!

--
SAm.                                 (Insert bandwidth-wasting disclaimer here)
                Ain't no dark till somethin' shines