Re: Oracle 8i "hot" backups on AlphaVMS?

From: skulker <bakermo_at_swbell.net.invalid>
Date: Sat, 27 Jan 2001 20:31:31 GMT

It is my understanding that neither ABS not SLS have the interface to RMAN. The client would idealy like to use RMAN. I suppose he could run RMAN and backup to disks and then backup the disks via SLS - but that adds another step that is not necessary in UNIX.

On Fri, 26 Jan 2001 15:41:21 -0000, "Neil Plucknett" <npluckne_at_ford.com> wrote:

>Possibly looking at this from the wrong angle (fairly new to Oracle & it's
>mysteries)- but what about running RMAN???
>
>Neil.
>

>"Alan Greig" <agreig_at_my-deja.com> wrote in message
>> On Tue, 23 Jan 2001 20:43:27 GMT, bakermo_at_swbell.net.yourhat (jjbaker)
>> wrote:
>>
>> >Greetings,
>> >
>> >My team manages AlphaVMS 7.1 on a cluster (4 - 8400's) running Oracle
>> >7.x for a client. We are about to upgrade to VMS 7.2-1 and the client
>> >will upgrade to Oracle 8i.
>> >
>> >Sometime in the near future the client would like to remove 2 8400's
>> >from the cluster and run Oracle on UNIX on them. The client's DBAs
>> >state that "hot backups" of Oracle on VMS is not possible.
>>
>> Others have answered this but perhaps your client should seriously
>> worry about their DBAs. If they are this clueless their backups on
>> current systems might be unusable.
>>

>> >Is that true? If not, how can it be done? Can it be done on UNIX and
>> >NOT VMS????
>> >
>> >TIA
>> >

>> >jjbaker
>> >
>> >emails remove .yourhat
>>
>> --
>> Alan Greig

bakermo_at_swbell.net.invalid

email remove .invalid Received on Sat Jan 27 2001 - 21:31:31 CET

Original text of this message