help needed - combining tables

From: uhb17 <uhb17_at_email.hai.iec.co.il>
Date: Tue, 9 Jan 2001 09:30:12 +0200

Hi all - I am in dire need of a solution to combining tables.....

I have a table of the following structure :

    st1 varchar2(8),
    fld1 varchar2(8),

    line     varchar2(8),
    vlt        varchar2(8),
    st2      varchar2(8),
    fld2     varchar2(8)

I have to find within the above table all rows where (st1,fld1) are the same or all rows where (st2,fld2) are the same and link them together. The table which I have to create and populate is of the following structure :

    st1      varchar2(8),
    fld1     varchar2(8),
    line1    varchar2(8),
    vlt1       varchar2(8),
    st2       varchar2(8),
    fld2      varchar2(8)
    line2    varchar2(8),
    vlt2       varchar2(8),
    st3       varchar2(8),
    fld3      varchar2(8)

In other words, I have to read the first row in table1 and see if there is another row
in the table with the same (st1,fld1) or (st2,fld2). If I find a row then I have to link
them together into one row in table2.

table1 => aaa 111 blue 100 bbb 222

                  aaa 111 grey 120 ccc 333

will give me the outcome in table2 => bbb 222 blue 100 aaa 111 grey 120 ccc 333

I hope someone will be able to help me out as I am stumped and I HAVE to get this done.

                        thanks all - Elchanan