Re: clipper -> oracle

From: Jim Kennedy <kennedy-family_at_home.com>
Date: Wed, 27 Dec 2000 01:58:35 GMT

Edvard,
It is difficult to just send you a demo program written in Oracle (that would run). Clipper, as you know, is a file based data management system. It works on files directly. So a client application (e.g. one running on a PC) is basically manipulating the underlying dbf file directly. Oracle does not work that way. Instead Oracle is a dataase that has several published API's (ODBC, OCI, JDBC, etc.) and you manipulate the data indirectly via commands. The program (Oracle) running on the server responds to these commands and executes them. The difference being the Clipper program controls the reading and writing to the dbf file itself and in Oracle you send commands to control the underlying tables. Of course, there are many other differences (e.g. transactions, etc.) that Clipper does not have.

Your best bet is to download from otn.oracle.com a copy of a development kit for Oracle.
Jim