Re: create database

From: Howard J. Rogers <howardjr_at_www.com>
Date: Tue, 7 Nov 2000 17:37:09 +1100

<aidan_at_qxlva.com> wrote in message news:8u6fe8$8bk$1_at_nnrp1.deja.com...
> Hi,
>
> Im running Oracle8.0.5 enterprise edition with one database, one
> instance for development project which is ongoing. We are due to begin
> a new project shortly and we are looking to create a 2nd seperate
> database on the same server/oracle installation. Ive never created an
> oracle database and am unsure of what to do tho it seams straight
> forward. My question is a simple one, (i hope) i have a full backup of
> the current oracle setup, datafiles, controlfiles, logs etc.. and was
> wondering if creating a 2nd database would have any effect on the
> current database and what issues there may be in setting this up.

There are no implications, provided that you remember to change your ORACLE_SID before starting to create the new database, and that you make suitable amendments to any init.ora you may copy.

For example, init.ora will have a parameter saying control_files=balhblahblah ... and clearly, you will need to change the directory and filenames, otherwise the create database statement will fail.

More significantly, if you copy an existing init.ora, watch out for nasties like log_archive_dest and log_archive_duplex_dest... you don't want your new database to start producing archives in the same location as your existing database (and potentially over-writing existing ones).

background_dump_dest and user_dump_dest also want looking at, though it's not so bad... the SID is usually included in the filename, so the possibility of over-writing and confusion are fairly minimal.

Also watch out that rollback_segments is commented out before trying anything... again, if you've copied an existing init.ora, this line will be trying to bring online rollback segments which don't exist in the new database, and creation will fail as a result.

Finally, in the long term, yes the presence of a new database can be expected to impact on the performance of the old... all that disk i/o contention.

Regards
HJR