Re: Coalesce problem

From: <jdarrah_co_at_my-deja.com>
Date: Mon, 23 Oct 2000 18:08:46 GMT

Alter tablespace coalesce will essentially merge adjacent extents of the same table together. If you have percent increase set higher than zero than smon will automatically coalesce the tablespace every 12 hours (don't quote me on the 12 hours part). The best way to combat tablespace fragmentation is to use one and only one extent size per tablespace and set percent increase to zero in your storage clauses. If your using 8i, use locally managed tablespaces with a uniform extent size. If not make sure only one size of extent goes into each TS or at the very least, make sure all extents of a tablespace are multiples or one another.

In article <Pine.GSO.4.21.0010231825002.24382-100000_at_loisto.uwasa.fi>,   kt <h78816_at_loisto.uwasa.fi> wrote:
> Hi all!
>
> I'm quit new with the Oracle databases and would like to know what
> is the best way to find out that fragmentation of space is
> high (contiguous space on your disk appears as non-contiguous)?
>
> If I execute ALTER TABLESPACE <dbspace> COALESCE, what's happening to
> extents?
>
> Do I get more larger contiguous extents on a per tablespace basis by
> using that command?
>
> Or is there another ways to reorganisize tablespaces, except exp-imp?
>
> Thank's in forward.
>
> KT

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy. Received on Mon Oct 23 2000 - 20:08:46 CEST

Original text of this message