PL/SQL Question

From: David <mGOplexAWAY_at_swbell.net>
Date: Mon, 18 Sep 2000 17:42:41 GMT

I am attempting to create a PL/SQL procedure and I am trying to see if there is a way of accomplishing what I am trying to do without having to write a very long IF THEN ELSE statement.

TABLE A has the following fields ...

	code_1	VARCHAR2(1)
	code_2	VARCHAR2(1)

code_7 VARCHAR2(1) amt_1 NUMBER(7,2) amt_2 NUMBER(7,2)
amt_7 NUMBER(7,2) TABLE B has the fields like ... cl_fee NUMBER(7,2) gi_fee NUMBER(7,2) fl_fee NUMBER(7,2)
zz_fee NUMBER(7,2)

In the code_x fields there can be a value between '1' and '9'. For each record, it can be completely different. Depending on the value in each code_x field, I need to update the fee fields in Table B with the corresponding amount from the amount_x fields in Table A.

For example,

Table A

code_1 = 4	amt_1 = 120.00
code_2 = 1	amt_2 = 175.00
code_3 = 2	amt_3 = 100.00

If '4' corresponds to fl_fee, and '1' corresponds to cl_fee and '2' corresponds to zz_fee then I need to update TABLE B such that

cl_fee = 175.00
fl_fee = 120.00
zz_fee = 100.00

With 7 buckets that can have 9 possible values, I am thinking that I would need 63 different IF conditions to cover all possibilities. Does anyone know if a more efficient way of accomplishing this than to write all those IFs?

TIA David Received on Mon Sep 18 2000 - 19:42:41 CEST

Original text of this message