Re: what is the largest raw partition I can have?

From: Don Khan <dkhan_at_mediaone.net>
Date: 2000/07/31

The maximim partition can be as large as your physical disk. For character devices you should not run into any limits due to magic sizes of partitions. I'd recommend that before you start using raw partitions that you consider using a logical volume manager (eg Veritas) and use raw volumes instead of raw partitions. You will be able to better manage/resize volumes using a volume manager than just plain partitions. You will also be able to make use of striped raw volumes for hopefully better performance. Of course this depends on the size of your database. For over a 100GB I'd definately use a volume manager.