Re: Informix vs The World

From: Miguel Cruz <mnc_at_admin.u.nu>
Date: 2000/06/15

In article <8hlkri$vuo$1_at_nnrp1.deja.com>, <tslusser_at_bigfoot.com> wrote:
> I am using Informix and I love it but I want to know if learning Oracle
> would be better for my career.

Oracle has a market share ten times as large as Informix. That means ten times as many jobs (actually, more, since Oracle seems to suck up personnel like a vacuum). Better for your career? Well, that depends on whether you're looking for flexibility (which Oracle offers, with more jobs open at any given time) or the opportunity to specialize (which Informix should provide just as much as Oracle, unless it is rapidly losing market share, in which case there will be a glut of Informix professionals disproportionately larger than the installed base of systems).

miguel Received on Thu Jun 15 2000 - 00:00:00 CEST

Original text of this message