Re: Oracle not start

From: Billy Verreynne <vslabs_at_onwe.co.za>
Date: 2000/05/26

"Andrew Lau" <andrewl2_at_hutchcity.com> wrote:

>Any one can teach me how to restart the server on Solaris platform and what
>should I do to ensure the oracle automatically restarts after the OS reboot?

You need to start two processes:
- the listener (for handling network connections to the database) - the database engine

Assuming that your login as the Unix Oracle user and the environment is set up correctly (e.g. ORACLE_SID and ORACLE_HOME variables):

The listener is started as follows:
# lsnrctl start

If you have more than one listener:
# lsnrctl start <listener_name>

The database is started via Server Manager: # svrmgrl

SVRMGR> connect internal
SVRMGR> startup
SVRMGR> exit

Oracle supports auto startup and shutdown (doing the server manager and listener bits for you) via the standard Unix scripts in the /etc/rc directories.

All that is required from the Unix sysadmin (or Oracle DBA) is to specify the SID (system ID of the database) and Oracle Home directory in the /etc/oratab file.

This file is well commented and should be easy to understand and configure.

Billy Received on Fri May 26 2000 - 00:00:00 CEST

Original text of this message