Re: Oracle LONG datatype

From: Jeff Smith <jsmith_at_provide.net>
Date: 2000/03/09

Oracle's string functions (substr, trim, etc) will not work with more than 2000 characters, but longs can hold more than 2000. Alot of times people need to manipulate the contents of a long and if it contains more than 2000 characters you will have problems - and Oracle won't give you error messages (at least from PL/SQL).

Make sure you are not getting the two confused.

Joseph Simes wrote in message ...
>Hello,
>
>I am mystefied. Is there no easy way to pass large quantities of text to a
>LONG field in Oracle. I am trying to upscale a Cold Fusion application from
>NT/Microsoft Access to Solaris/Oracle and the Access database uses many
 MEMO
>fields. Oracle is telling me (along with the database administrator) that
>can only write/retrieve 2000 characters to/from a LONG field at a time.
>What a pain. My db administrator has pointed me to some rather complex C
>code that will bind the data to a larger data chun (whatever that means)
 but