Re: Oracle newbie!! - Please help!!

From: Brice Ruth <Brice.Ruth_at_penguinboots.com>
Date: 2000/03/07

Robert,

I'm using the book: Oracle8i, A Beginner's Guide which has been most informative. I'm not sure that it has info on migrating databases, but it is shock full of info (from Oracle Press).

As for the question regarding 'HOME': you can do a few things: (a) install 8.1.5 in an entirely different home, leave 8.0.5 alone (b) uninstall 8.0.5, install 8.1.5 in the default home. Either of these approaches should get you to the point you need to be. If you have the hardware available, you might want to stop doing these 'attempts' on your SQL server machine - try 'em on a different machine so that you don't feel pressured if you screw something up.

Regards,
Brice Ruth