Re: connecting to database

From: <sooji_at_my-deja.com>
Date: 2000/02/25

In article
<ie2s4.13945$MZ2.232860_at_news1.wwck1.ri.home.com>,   "Louis Frolio" <frolio_at_home.com> wrote:
> greeting all, I am a newbie and would appreciate
 information regarding the
> method
> to connect to a database. I installed Oracle
 8.0.5.0 on NT sp 5. The
> database
> installs with a default database "default".
 However, I used the Oracle
> Database
> Assistant to create a new database "Cats" and
 now I can't seem to see it
> when I open
> Schema Manager or the Instance Manager. I went
 to NT Services and I see
> that the
> Cats instance is running? What do I need to do
 to see "Cats' database in
> either Schema
> Manager or Instance Manager? Any help would be
 greatly appreciated.

Hi
First thing you need to do is to check if the <listner> is up and running. So at the DOS prompt:

To see the status of the database run:

        <lsnrctl>
you will get the lsnrctl> prompt.
Type 'status' at the command prompt to check the status of the database.
To start the listener: lsnrctl> start
TO stop the listener: lsnrctl> stop

To start the database run:

        svrmgrl
To get connected type 'connect internal' at svrmgrl prompt. (connect to the database and then start
the database)
To start the database: svrmgrl> startup
To stop the database: svrmgrl> shutdown immediate

You will ger error if you have not done your installaton correctly. In that case you will have to reinstall Oracle.

SDK. Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy. Received on Fri Feb 25 2000 - 00:00:00 CET

Original text of this message