Re: How to choose a DB

From: Miguel Cruz <spam_at_admin.u.nu>
Date: 1999/12/30

Mark Townsend <mtownsen_at_us.oracle.com> wrote:
> Miguel - you mentioned a requirement for transparent or near transparent
> clustering - can I ask you what for ?

The goal is scalability - availability is an added plus but not the primary factor at this point. The client app will be delivering relatively complex queries which I fear will overload a single server at some point, so I need to be sure that the road we head down will not dead end when that happens.

> If you are looking at clustering for scalability, then Oracle8i Parallel
> Server is viable for your needs - but be prepared to have to jump
> through some hoops in the design and implementation of your application.
> And if you are trying to deploy a packaged application (PHP ?) then you
> will need to make sure that your packaged application vendor is happy to
> support a clustered solution - it is likely that cluster support will
> require some application level smarts, and not all of them are
> architectured to use a cluster intelligently.

PHP (www.php.net) is a language for web site development. It includes drivers for Oracle. If the hoops are straightforward and unmet by the existing drivers, we can probably muck with the driver source code until we get it working. If it requires a radically different way of approaching the transactions, then that may not be a good use of our resources.

Thanks everyone for the detailed advice.

miguel Received on Thu Dec 30 1999 - 00:00:00 CET

Original text of this message