Re: Microsoft ADO-> Oracle Net8

From: Mike Mattix <dmmattix_at_earthlink.net>
Date: 1999/09/15

In article <7rjkb5$n1e$1_at_foo.grnet.gr>, lourdas_at_it.teithe.gr says...
> Hi.
> Ummm... That message indicates that you probably need to install SQL Net
> client, but i'm not so sure though.
>
> --
> ~~~~~~~~
> + Vasileios Lourdas
> + Informatics Department,
> + TEI of Thessaloniki(Greece), 8th semester
> + e-mail : lourdas_at_it.teithe.gr
> + http://aetos.it.teithe.gr/~lourdas
> ~~~~~~~~
> Mark van Osch <Mark.vanOsch_at_nl.origin-it.com> wrote in message
> .com...
> > I am unable to connect to my Oracle database (Oracle8 Server Release
> > 8.0.4.0.0) via aMicrosoft ADO connection. When I try to test my connection
> > get the following error message:
> >
> > "Test connection failed because of an error in initializing provider. The
> > Oracle(tm) client and network components were not found. These components
> > are
> > supplied by Oracle Corporation and are part of the Oracle Version 7.3.3.
 (or
> > greater) client software installation.
> >
> > You will be unable to use this provider until these components have been
> > installed."
> >
> > We are using Visual Basic 6.0 SP3.
> >
> > Could somebody tell me what I am doing wrong?
> >
> > Thanks,
> >
> > Mark van Osch

Oh, you mean besides using Oracle.. The problem is that you are using the Microsoft ADO Provider (Oracle would not provide one of their own in a timely fashion - wait they STILL have not provided one ;))) and it (the Microsoft one) was written against the SQL*Net V2 client (Oracle V7.1 or greater). Anyway if you need to use Net8 you must use the ODBC Provider for ADO and also you must upgrade to the Oracle ODBC driver V8.0.5.1 or greater I believe (I am doing this from memory) as this is the earliest ODBC driver that Oracle makes that will work with the ODBC Provider for ADO. Use any earlier and you can see the data but not update it (if I remember correctly..). Anyway it seems to work then bites you.

All of this is documented in the Oracle MetaLink Support area for Microsoft Servers.

Good Luck

Mike Mattix
dmmattix_at_earthlink.net Received on Wed Sep 15 1999 - 00:00:00 CEST

Original text of this message