Re: Case Sensitivity in select

From: Ed Prochak <prochak_at_my-deja.com>
Date: 1999/09/03

In article <7qopdr$hu9$1_at_nnrp1.deja.com>,   captain_bananas9955_at_my-deja.com wrote:
> None of these posts are addressing what is a real problem for people
> who are converting applications which generate hundreds of SQL queries
> against a database such as Access, which is case-insensitive, and now
> wish to port to Oracle. What do they do? Modify the entire application
> and lose indexing on tables due to using UPPER() or LOWER()??? When
 all
> that is needed is a simple parameter setting to tell Oracle to be
 case-
> insensitive?

and as was pointed out, if you are using Oracle 8, you can use functions in the definition of an index, so you can have the fast access needed.

What I always wonder is how in the world do ACCESS uses deal with the converse problem. If ACCESS is case insensitive (it's not a bug, it's a feature), how do you query case sensitive data??? How do I select Hello out of (HELLO, Hello, hello)?

--
Ed Prochak
Magic Interface, Ltd.

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/