ORACLE and QUOTE identifier

From: uncle.scrooge <uncle.scrooge_at_worldnet.att.net>
Date: 1999/09/02

I'm using oracle's thin drivers to access an oracle 8.0.5 database. I'm also jbuilder 2.0.

My problem is that I have legacy schema definitiions in sybase with lowercase column names.
I want this same definitions to work with oracle. No problem you say?
Oracle is case insensitive you say?

To keep a long story short, this is what's happening:

  • give a table such as create table foo (X number)
  • this insert works insert into foo ("X", 100)
  • this doesn't insert into foo ("x", 100).

With the latter I get the quintissential "invalid column name" problem. The SQL is generated for me
from all the layers I'm using (jbuilder, jdbc, oracle driver etc).

I can't change my column names easily, since if I do so, the code will stop working with sybase.

So...

  • At the java driver level, is there a way to set what the "quoted identifier" character should be? or to tell the database not to use it? or..
  • is there way at the server level to make the above 2 inserts behave the same?