Re: Tablepartitioning with date-columns...???

From: Thomas Kyte <tkyte_at_us.oracle.com>
Date: 1999/08/10

A copy of this was sent to "Maik" <maik_at_z.zgs.de> (if that email address didn't require changing) On Tue, 10 Aug 1999 22:33:45 +0200, you wrote:

>Hello Friends,
>
>i would create a partionied table, and the table should fall into 7
>partitions, each for a day of the week:
>
>partition 1: monday
>partition 7: sunday
>
>I think, thats not possible with a date-column, because

>PARTITION BY RANGE (to_char(date_column,'D'))
>
>is not possible.

is it possible for you to create another column, "theday number" and partition on that? theday would have to_char(date_column'd') put into it..

short of that, sounds like you are just trying to get sort of a round robin "distribute the data for me" reaction from the database. If so, you might be intereseted in the Hash partitioning available in Oracle8i, release 8.1....

--
See http://govt.us.oracle.com/~tkyte/ for my columns 'Digging-in to Oracle8i'...
Current article is "Part I of V, Autonomous Transactions" updated June 21'st