Re: Oracle/Novell

From: Wayne Price <wlprice_at_earthlink.net>
Date: Sat, 03 Jul 1999 13:29:07 -0700

I have NW5 and Oracle 8i running - not much differenct than any other RDBMS. You will probably want to become an Oracle Developer/ (Join free on their website). The OTN has forums and tech support specific to Oracle and Novell.

Start simple:
1. is the server NLM running? (It needs to be loaded each time the server boots, and a password entered. use ORALOAD.NCF)

2. Are the server listeners set up?
3. Is the correct Oracle driver available on the client?
4. Can you set up a client connection with the Oracle tools?
5. Can you make a programming connection?
(You did not say what programming language you use. I've only used Java on the Oracle server, but C, PowerBuilder, and other tools should work. )

This is my Java test code. You will have to change the parameters and query to fit your situation.

import java.awt.*;
import java.sql.*;

class SQLTest
{

   public static void loadDriver(String dbDriver)    {
 //----- Load the Oracle JDBC driver -----  try
{

    Class.forName (dbDriver);
 }
 catch(java.lang.ClassNotFoundException e)
{

    System.err.print("ClassNotFoundException: ");     System.err.println(e.getMessage());
 }
   }

   public static Connection dbConnect(String url, String uid, String password)

   {
 Connection con;

 //----- Load the Oracle JDBC driver -----  try
{

    con = DriverManager.getConnection(url, uid, password);  }
 catch(SQLException ex)
{

    System.err.println("SQLException: " + ex.getMessage());     return null;
 }
 return con;
   }

   public static void dbQuery(Connection con, String query)

       throws SQLException
   {
 String s;
 ResultSet results;
 Statement stmt;

 //----- Create a SQL statement -----

     stmt = con.createStatement ();

     //----- Execute query -----
     results = stmt.executeQuery (query);

     //----- Iterate through results; print file names -----
     while (results.next ())

{
s = results.getString(1).trim() + "," + results.getString(2).trim(); System.out.println(s);

 }
   }

   public static void main (String args [])

       throws SQLException
   {

      String url,
   dbDriver,
   uid, pword,
    query;
    Connection con;

     //----- Set Oracle parameters -----  url = "jdbc:oracle:thin:_at_NWservername:1521:ORCL";  dbDriver = "oracle.jdbc.driver.OracleDriver";  uid = "internal";
 pword = "oracle";
 query = "select name from baseline.bfile";

 //----- Load the JDBC driver -----
 loadDriver(dbDriver);

 //----- Get connection parameters -----  getLoginInfo(uid, pword);

 //----- Connect to database -----