free PL/SQL utilities

From: Caroline <mck9_at_swbell.net>
Date: Sun, 27 Jun 1999 17:24:04 -0500

I have just put up a website with some free utilities for analyzing or managing PL/SQL source code. See:

        http://home.swbell.net/mck9/pls/

These utilities are available in the form of portable C source code, released under the terms of the GNU General Public License.

The utilities currently available include:

	ttok -- a demo and testbed for the tokenizer
		(see below)

	plscap -- changes reserved words to upper case,
		and identifiers to lower case

	plsenull -- scans PL/SQL code for attempts to
		test for equality or inequality to NULL

These tools, while useful, are admittedly not terribly impressive. What's more important is that they are based on plstok, a tokenizer or lexical analyzer for PL/SQL source code. You can incorporate plstok into other tools of your own devising. Plstok can serve as a basis for open software for PL/SQL developers, to be collectively maintained and enhanced by its users.

I plan to use plstok to build a PL/SQL beautifier, to impose consistent use of indentation and other white space. Other possible uses include a cross-reference generator and a lint-like tool to flag dubious code.

I invite you to try out these programs and provide me with some feedback about, for example:

  1. The accuracy of the tokenizing
  2. Non-portable or dubious aspects of the C code
  3. Bugs or other opportunities for improvement
  4. Other possible uses for the tokenizer

Scott McKellar mck9_at_swbell.net
http://home.swbell.net/mck9/pls/ Received on Mon Jun 28 1999 - 00:24:04 CEST

Original text of this message