Oracle 8i and EJB question

From: Frank Sauer <frank_sauer_at_geocities.com>
Date: Wed, 23 Jun 1999 21:02:39 GMT

We have the following bootstrapping issue:
  1. Only Home interfaces are published to JNDI
  2. Home interfaces only allow you to create new instances.
  3. and 2) How do you find already activated instances of an EJB's remote interface?

The documentation states that the bind(), rebind(), rename(), etc. methods of the
JDNI Context are not supported in this release, so an EJB cannot publish itself???

Also, how can a Sessionbean instance be shared? We want to do some object caching on complex structures built from complex queries that are identical for all
clients. These structures are read-only and re-creating them in each session seems a waste. Related to this is the question on how to keep a SessionBean alive.
In Oracle 8i every object lives in the context of a Session, session ends, objects go
away (after an optional timeout), how do we keep an EJB activated beyond the lifetime of a single session? I know that SessionBeans are usually not shared, but
until Entitybeans are supported what other choice do we have?

As a note: Why is there so little activity on this topic in this group? Are we the first trying to use EJBs on oracle 8i???

Frank Sauer
The Technical Resource Connection
a wholly owned subsidiary of Perot Systems frank.sauer_at_trcinc.com Received on Wed Jun 23 1999 - 23:02:39 CEST

Original text of this message