Re: Oracle/Access ODBC Error

From: Kevin P. Fleming <kfleming_at_access-laserpress.com>
Date: Wed, 09 Jun 1999 17:49:53 GMT

Yes, this is because the 8.0.5.x drivers now support query timeouts, which the older drivers did not. By default all queries created in Access have a 60-second timeout, and unless the designer of the query (or coder of the program) overrides it, that will be the case. Most times, re-running the query succeeds because most of the data required for the query is already in the cache, the SQL has already been parsed and an execution plan generated, etc., so it takes less time the second time around.

You can do one of two things:

  1. Modify your queries to have proper timeouts, or timeouts of 0 (meaning never timeout).
  2. Upgrade to the 8.0.5.5 ODBC driver, and use the DSN configuration option in the ODBC administrator to turn off query timeouts.

BTW, this issue is well covered in the online help with the ODBC drivers, and also on Metalink. If you look there first, you can find lots of useful information before going to the newsgroups :-)