Re: Creating Index on 7 million row table!

From: Ayokunle Giwa <kgiwa_at_psn.net>
Date: Sun, 30 May 1999 02:49:42 -0700

That seems a little excessive, However i do not know the detailed config of your box but I have create concatenated indexes on 15 million row tables and its taken maybe 3 - 4 hrs on sequent C-80 with 18 pentiun 200Mhz processors. If you have multiple processors you can explore prallel processing. This will have to be carefully configured as you will need to set several int.ora parameters to support this.
Also are you sure there is or was no query or process accessing the table while you were creating the index. And for maintanance purposes use the rebuild index syntax it is quicker as it uses the data from the old index to rebuild the new as opposed to getting it from the table. You could also partition the table ( Hash based) and create partitioned indexes in parallel utilizong all CPUs

Ayokunke Giwa