Expect to work with terrabytes.. now what?

From: Ferdinand Swaters <ferd_at_incore.xs4all.NO_SPAM.nl>
Date: Tue, 25 May 1999 15:56:15 +0200

Hi All,

I am currently on a project where the data in my database is going to run into the 1-10 Terabyte range. I have no experience with these sizes of data in a DBMS, and I am wondering what new pitfalls I might run into.

The system will do almost no updates on the data, most is storage and then delete after a while. There won't be many queries on the data, but the queries will be large. It is much like a data warehouse situation. The DBMS will be oracle.

I don't have a good idea on what questions to ask first, because I'm mainly concerned about the things I might forget now, and run into when the beast is operational. One thing that I would like to know is if there is a way I could compress the data while it is in the database. That would reduce storage space required by a huge factor.

Anyone has some experience they wish to share?

advTHANKSance,

    Ferd. Received on Tue May 25 1999 - 15:56:15 CEST

Original text of this message