How to bring Oracle8i to its' Knees!! -- Oracle, PLEASE FIX THIS!!!!

From: Ron Crawford II <Ronald_at_Crawford.net>
Date: Fri, 14 May 1999 23:38:43 -0400

Oracle:

I'd like for your team to address the following so we can have an even powerful product. I'd like to first give "Oracle8i" a standing novation because it is indeed a phoenomenal product. Oracle has "broken the mindless mold" of companies who worship Micro..... and have picked up the torch-light and placed it on the future of software development/deployment. I'm 100% behind you!!!!

  1. The following Java code, when compiled to a stored procedure will bring Oracle8i to its' knees. I'm running a P-II 450MHz, 512 Ram, etc. so I was able to resolve the problem without a reboot. Otherwise, the three finger salute would have been in order.

The following code was written within the "Oracle Schema Manager" program (Java version for Oracle8i). Also, you guys don't repaint the 'status' section correclty
when the 'compile' button is pressed.

  • CODE START import java.lang.*;

public class Tester
{

  public static void Demo()
  {

     // Why won't this print?
     System.err.print("This won't print from SQL/Plus (Oracle 8i) when I
issue CALL...");

    for (;;)
    { // Why do we need curly brackets on for loops? If removed, compiler error.

      Tester blowUp = new Tester(); // This causes your Oracle instance to suck up

                                                        // 100% CPU
until you manually kill the service. This affects *every* Oracle8i process
                                                        // including
SQL/Plus, Schema manager, etc.

    }
  }
}

// Why can you do this in Oracle8i ??
public class ThisShouldBeAnError
{

}

  • CODE END
Regards,

Ron Crawford II
Author of "The Java Virtual Machine", Nov 1998, "Java Report" magazine feature article. Received on Sat May 15 1999 - 05:38:43 CEST

Original text of this message