Re: Linux betas NT in TPC testing, running Oracle8

From: <r.e.ballard_at_usa.net>
Date: Tue, 04 May 1999 05:25:59 GMT

In article <7g5t2c$a7i$1_at_ocean.cup.hp.com>,   foo_at_bar.baz (Rick Jones) wrote:
> r.e.ballard_at_usa.net wrote:
> : > : http://rpmfind.net/veillard/oracle/
>
> : This now points to a legal notice pointing out that they can no
> : longer publish the results. Too bad nobody glammed on to the bottom
> : line numbers. One of the reasons that there is such strict control
> : of TPC numbers is that vendors don't want $/TPC benchmarks done on
> : system like FreeBSD or Linux.
>
> I thought it was more like the TPC didn't want their benchmarks to
> end-up like bytemarks or dhrystones? Hence the somewhat tall hurdles
> for publication.

Actually, there are several requirements that neither FreeBSD nor Linux can currently meet. For example, the TPC benchmark requires a quote for a 5 year support contracts on all hardware and software. Since neither Sybase, nor Oracle, no IBM offer support contracts on their Linux products, there is no legal way to meet the fundamental posting requirement. Furthermore, even Red Hat doesn't offer a 5 year 24/7 support contract on it's current product line.

If one looks as the SCO numbers compared to the NT numbers, the raw throughput is comparable and even slightly better, but the $/TPC ratio is lower due to the fact that SCO collects higher support contract prices and charges a higher per client license fee.

It isn't a true "conspiracy", but the folks who audit these results cannot accept the Linux terms as legitimate results. If one were to consider only the raw hardware costs - which could be competitively obtained for $50k-$60k and the software costs which are in the $2k range, and the mainenance contracts available from companies like Flagship ($6,000-$20,000 for 5 years) this is typical of Linux "bargain basement" environments, a total of $80k. If Linux were able to crank out 8,000 TPC/M (plausable when you compare the SCO numbers), then Linux would still be in the $10/TPC range. Just looking at one of the "low-end" NT machines, it's easy to see how Linux could generate some rediculously low $/TPC numbers. NT generates $30/TPC with it's bottom of the line systems.

Personally, I'd love to see what IBM could do with Linux on a Netfinity server and a DB/2 database. :-)

--
Rex Ballard - Open Source Advocate, Internet Architect, MIS Director
http://www.open4success.com