Re: Linux betas NT in TPC testing, running Oracle8

From: Nik Simpson <ndsimpso_at_ingr.com>
Date: Wed, 28 Apr 1999 08:11:44 -0500

r.e.ballard_at_usa.net wrote:
> : http://rpmfind.net/veillard/oracle/
>
> : This now points to a legal notice pointing out that they can no
> : longer publish the results. Too bad nobody glammed on to the bottom
> : line numbers. One of the reasons that there is such strict control
> : of TPC numbers is that vendors don't want $/TPC benchmarks done on
> : system like FreeBSD or Linux.

You clearly have no idea about TPC benchmarks. In order to meet the requirements of TPC/C on say a QUAD XEON you would need something around 4GB of memory, 120-130 high performance SCSI disks, a large scale network to do the testing, 20-30 client machines etc, etc. TPC/D is even worse in terms of resource requirements. Basically, the only people with the money to run these benchmarks are the large vendors, that said, there is aboslutely nothing to prevent Redhat or VA Research from running validated TPC benchmarks and I wouldn't be surprised if they did. But fundamentally the TPC suite is aimed high-end OLTP environments were money is no object, and incidentally, the price of the OS is a tiny tiny part of the cost of the benchmarked configuration, so don't expect using LINUX to make a big difference to the $/transaction (number of transactions for that matter.)

--
Nik Simpson