encryption / security (any advice?)

From: Claude Daoust <cdaoust_at_netaxis.com>
Date: Tue, 13 Apr 1999 21:26:03 -0400

Does Oracle have any pakages that provide encryption routines? We are trying to implement security and are looking at various strategies:

1- encrypt application password and use this as the Oracle password (the encrypted value) - prevents user from having direct access to database 2- map application user ID to an Oracle ID that is unknown to app user - we could change the password of the Oracle IDs as often as we like

Of course we would like to keep passwords and such out of app memory but it does not look possible. We had hoped to be able to issue a set role from a stored proc but this is not possible. We have an encryption routine but Oracle keeps mangling up the control chars when saved. I haven't played around with different column types yet such as a long (we were using varchar). Many of the chars generated by the encryption routine were getting mis-translated by Oracle and we could not then decrypt.

any help appreciated, tia, Claude

p.s. would appreciate it if you could email me directly Received on Wed Apr 14 1999 - 03:26:03 CEST

Original text of this message