Re: Oracle thin JDBC driver wackiness? (setTransactionIsolation())

From: Joseph Weinstein <joe_at_weblogic.com>
Date: 1999/04/13

Phil Bradley wrote:

> Its a bug!
> You are quite correct, the database does not support read uncommitted. In fact the
> driver runs at read committed isolation level.
> I was told a couple of months back that it is fixed in the latest version of the
> driver. Check with Oracle on the availability of the new driver.
> Phil Bradley

Thanks. This is actually bizarrely wacky because the transaction isolation level is entiredly a server-side issue, not a driver issue, and the trivial means of implementing the setTransactionIsolation() method (to a DBMS-supportable level) is to execute the SQL:

SET TRANSACTION ISOLATION LEVEL READ COMMITTED or
SET TRANSACTION ISOLATION LEVEL SERIALIZABLE This is a workaround until we get a fix. Joe Weinstein at BEA, the home of WebLogic

> Joseph Weinstein wrote:
> > Hi. Does anyone know why the type-4 (thin) JDBC driver from
> > Oracle throws an exception for Connection.setTransactionIsolation()
> > if the setting is anything but TRANSACTION_READ_UNCOMMITTED,
> > saying:
> > "java.sql.SQLException: setTransactionIsolation:
> > Only supports TRANSACTION_READ_UNCOMMITTED"
> > This is bizarre to me, because my Oracle documentation says
> > that the DBMS cannot actually support this mode.

                    The Weblogic Application Server from BEA
         JavaWorld Editor's Choice Award: Best Web Application Server
  Java Developer's Journal Editor's Choice Award: Best Web Application Server
     Crossroads A-List Award: Rapid Application Development Tools for Java
Intelligent Enterprise RealWare: Best Application Using a Component Architecture
               http://weblogic.beasys.com/press/awards/index.htm