Re: Which DB/Software suite combo is best for Web<->DB implementation

From: Thomas Parsli <thomas.parsli_at_metamedia.no>
Date: 1999/04/08

"Saber Data Systems" <sjdavis_at_nospam.saberdata.com> writes:

> MS Access 97 and Cold Fusion Administrator 4.0. Works like a dream...

And the performance in a multiuser environment?

> larry_at_lobster.com wrote in message <7eie1o$3t6_at_edrn.newsguy.com>...
> >FileMAker PRO and Tango(?) for fast, easy implementation. shopping etc..

Filemaker and Tango are both proprietary solutions, much like Access and Cold Fusion. The implementation may be fast, performance is _not_.

> >In article <370ab48b.11143929_at_news.pacbell.net>, nthelen_at_pbjcorp.com
 says...

> >>I am new to the Web<->DB world. My past was primarily invloved in
> >>Windows Client/Server apps using C++ and MFC. Now my job entails
> >>using the web as the primary front end to our apps. I know/hope there
> >>is going to be lots of feedback with this question so here it goes:
> >>
> >>Which DB/Software suite combo is the best for Web<->DB implementation?

Apache with PHP or Modperl against Oracle, Sybase, MySQL or Solid. If you're from the Microsoft-camp IIS against SQL-server 7.0 is the obvious choice.
I find Tango and Cold Fusion both strange and wrong (TM), but then again I use Perl on IIS (with ASP) instead of VB. (Don't like Visual Interdev much either)

> >>What I exactly mean by this is that there are lots of technologies out
> >>there and I want to hear some feed back as to what has worked well for
> >>you, but also just as important, what has NOT worked well for you.

NT/IIS has not worked well for me, Microsoft products in general actually... I've built two intranetts with IIS, one mainly databasebased (Sybase).

> >>The projects are going to range from small to large so I am open to
> >>anything.

This is 90% philosophy and 10% science. Or 90/90 if you have the "right" philosophy... It's open vs. proprietary, good vs. evil, solution vs. technology

In my opinion (and expreience):
1) Linux/Sybase ASE 11.0.3.3/Apache beates the hell out of NT/IIS/SQL-server while costing nothing. And doing so on _cheaper_ hardware. 2) ASE 11.9 will cost a lot (~MS SQL-server) but MySQL is good enough in most scenarios.
3) Perl, Python, PHP is _far_ better than VB

Check out:
www.apache.org

	perl.apache.org
	perl.apache.org/embperl
	www.perl.org

www.php.net
www.zope.org

Thomas
(commence flaming) Received on Thu Apr 08 1999 - 00:00:00 CEST

Original text of this message