Re: PL/SQL Tables (in memory) Performance? ver 8

From: Mladen Gogala <mgogala_at_yahoo.com>
Date: 1999/03/25

In article <7dahr2$2us$1_at_pheidippides.axion.bt.co.uk>,   "McAllister" <lmcallister_at_bfsec.bt.co.uk> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Here is a technical qus about PL/SQL tables - memory structures.
>
> You can create a PL/SQL table with indexes 1, 4, -5, 10, 9876 etc.
>
> We need to be able to access data held at those indexes frequently (and
> quickly!)
>
> Do you know how Oracle stores these indexes (and data) internally. Does it
> create a binary search index on the fly, such that it can find the index
> quickly? or does it search sequentially through each index (which would be
> too slow!)
>
> Please reply by email!
>
> Thanks,
>
> Liam.

It's a generalized structure very similar to the normal array in C/C++. The index part of the TYPE command is 'INDEX BY BINARY INTEGER', which means that the array index is normal, native 32 bit integer. The structure itself resembles the vector structure from STL (my guess, based on some verbal communication with some oracle gurus) and the index looks like STL iterator.
Mladen Gogala