Re: Must run Oracles JVM!

From: Shahram Shahdadi <shahram.shahdadi_at_rhein-neckar.netsurf.de>
Date: Wed, 24 Mar 1999 14:22:53 +0100

Hi,

thx for your reply

I think I didn't express my problem in a good manner. So let me try again.

I use JDK 1.2 on  NT 4.0 and it is working fine.
I don't use MS-J and with "J" I meant Suns Java.

I have wirtten a Java programm using oci8. I compiled the programm and couldn't run it with JVM shipped with JDK 1.2.

I run the same programm with JVM supplied by Oracle in its 1.1.1 version and it worked!

I might be wrong but I think that the two JVM's are not the "same" and the one suplied by Oracle is optimized to do these kind of jobs of accessing the database through oci8 better.!

Incase, this is the point of confusion. The same problem occures when I try the some of Oralces sample programms using oci8.

I then decided to use sun:jdbc:odbc:JdbcOdbcDriver and I was happy. Now I want to use the programm for accessing Linux-Oralce. And here is why I would like to use oci8. I haven't tried to reproduce on Linux-Oracle  the problem I had under NT-Oracle (its not realy a problem).

Do you have any experiences of doing JDBC-stuff on Linux.

Thx again for your help and I hope that I could express myself somehow more clear (but I doubt it).

John Mulle worte:

Does 'J' mean "Microsoft J" ??
MS-J is not designed to be VM portable.
In fact, it is deliberately designed to be non-VM-portable.
The sun JDK (free!) comes with a java compiler that targets
portable JVM bytecode.

Confused? The java language and the java virtual machine are
two different things.
 - the JVM is a system that runs 'bytecode' on any platform.
   this bytecode can be written by hand, or generated by
   compiling it from a language (for example, java)
 - the java language; it can be compiled into native binaries
   or JVM-bytecode.
 - I think MS-J generates non-portable JVM-bytecode
   (and/or native binaries?) from java source code.

Other points:
- If the java/oci interface requires the use of a java-native-interface
library, then you need to check that the JVM you want to use
is compatible with the library. MS-JVM is not JNI compatible;
instead, it requires that you use ActiveX/COM objects as gateways
to a JNI library.
- Oracle 8 comes with the JVM version 1.1.1
- you could use JDBC instead of OCI

Does this help? if not, give more detail on the problem...

john