Re: Option boxes and oracle

From: Stephen Harris <sweh_at_mpn.com>
Date: 1999/03/09

Martin Lynch (mlynch_at_bfsec.bt.co.uk) wrote:

: Im writing pl/sql (oracle) to produce some html pages.

Tough luck.

: Ive got 3 tables each with a number of rows (around 8)

: Can I have two option boxes (the first for the table names and the second
: for the rows of that specific table) so that when i choose the table i want,
: the
: columns in the second are automatically and instantly shown in the second
: option box.

Not easily. Remember, the "clicking" of boxes is done at the client side (the web browser) and this has no connection to your database at all. So the only way of doing what you want is to download _ALL_ the information to the client initially and then use javascript processing on the client side to dynamically change the forms. Dynamically changing forms with javascript is a standard example. I'm sure there's a version on Netscape's site somewhere.

If this is for an intranet then you may wish to consider java and JDBC connections into the database from the client directly. Don't do this for Internet apps :-)

--

rgds
Stephen