Re: Relationship Diagrams

From: Simon Hedges <shedges_at_hhhh.freeserve.co.uk>
Date: 1999/03/08

Adam Gresh wrote in message <36E33B63.38A2AC55_at_home.com>...
>Is there a tool available to graphically view the relationships between
>tables? I've seen references to a way to document tables through
>Enterprise Manager, but it sounded like a manual process.
>
>I know you can use a describe to bet basic information, but what I'm
>really interested in are the relationships and triggers in effect for a
>specific database.

You can use Oracle Designer 2000 to reverse engineer the database and create diagrams from the result. There is also a cut down version of Designer 2000 which I think may be available free: 'Database Designer' which lacks much of the functionality of the full Designer kit, but does allow diagrammatic displays of Oracle data structures.

There are other tools around that will do this.

If you want raw factual data, you can query the Oracle database data dictionary views to find out what you want. For example 'select * from all_objects' will list every database object that you have access to. This will include the triggers, primary keys, views, tables, synonmyms, packages, procedures, functions, snapshots etc. There are more complex views. I'm not sure if there is an 'all_triggers' but there may be.

Simon Hedges
Gloucester
UK Received on Mon Mar 08 1999 - 00:00:00 CET

Original text of this message