Re: HELP: ODBC & SQL NET

From: coredump <coredump_at_NOSPAM.enteract.com>
Date: 1999/02/07

In article <79j9ol$rll$1_at_news-1.news.gte.net>, "T. Jones" <jonestl_at_netscape.net> wrote:
>I have just set up my SQL*NET client. Using the utilites, I can 'tnsping'
>my
>UNIX based Oracle 7 server with no problem. So, I'm assuming the
>PC (NT) client is communicating with the Oracle 7 server.
>
>The problem is the ODBC drivers (Microsoft). I was told to use MS's drivers
>because they actually work better than Oracles. When I go to add a system
>DSN for an Oracle DSN, I put the following:
>
> Name: ACSPUB (what I want the DSN to be)
> User name: myusername
> Server: WHAT_DO_I_PUT_HERE?
>
>Do I put the name of the Unix Oracle server in server? Do I put the Oracle
>alias
>I created in SQL*NET? Or do I put 'tns:my_alias'? I tried all there, but
>connecting
>give the the error:
>
> TNS:..cannot resolve hostname...
>
>Any suggestions?

I just did this on Friday. I don't know about using the microsoft oracle drivers, I got the most current oracle driver from the oracle website and they seem to work fine.

I think it's important that you have the right combination of sqlnet and odbc drivers.

At my office (where I set this up) I acctually have two versions of sqlnet running on my machine (16 bit and 32bit) to support different applications that connect to my database. It seems to me that tnsping was a test program for the 16bit sqlnet (V1 ?). The ODBC drivers you have 'may' need sqlnet V2.

You might check the oracle installation source you installed sqlnet from and see if it includes a version of odbc drivers, if it does they may be more compatible than what you installed.

Also, you might want to get the odbc driver package from oracle. I seem to remember, that it might include a version of sqlnet V2.

If this doesn't help, drop me an e-mail and I'll look more closely at the setup in the office on Monday.

John

--

coredump_at_NOSPAM.enteract.com
www.enteract.com/~coredump

Breaking the speed limit on the Information Superhighway