Re: Partition Views

From: Thomas Kyte <tkyte_at_us.oracle.com>
Date: Thu, 14 Jan 1999 12:30:56 GMT

A copy of this was sent to "Mike Isaac" <michael.isaac_at_matrikon.com> (if that email address didn't require changing) On Wed, 13 Jan 1999 10:52:21 -0700, you wrote:

>I have a number of tables with names ending with the year.
> ie: Data_Table_1999, Data_Table_2000, ......
>
>and I want to create a view such that when I insert data into the table, it
>inserts into the table that corresponds with the current year. Can this be
>done either using partition views or Unions? Please give me an example.
>
>thanks in advance.
>
>Mike

Not in Oracle7.x.

In Oracle 8.x, yes you could build such a thing using INSTEAD OF TRIGGERS on a view (instead of inserting, run this logic which will do the right thing).... However, in Oracle 8.x you would use a partitioned table, not partitioned views so you wouldn't need to do this anyway.

Thomas Kyte
tkyte_at_us.oracle.com
Oracle Service Industries
Reston, VA USA

--
http://govt.us.oracle.com/    -- downloadable utilities

Anti-Anti Spam Msg: if you want an answer emailed to you,
you have to make it easy to get email to you.  Any bounced
email will be treated the same way i treat SPAM-- I delete it.