Re: Oracle on Linux question

From: Joel Sloan <jjs_at_c-me.com>
Date: Mon, 28 Dec 1998 01:44:58 GMT

Juan Riera wrote:

> I have been told that Linux edition is a beta nonstable and that will not
> manage files over 2 GB - is it true?

The Linux edition is a production release, and while not all the GUI tools have been ported yet, the Oracle server itself is as stable or more so on Linux as compared to any other Unix.

SVRMGR> select * from v$version;
BANNER

Oracle8 Release 8.0.5.0.0 - Production
PL/SQL Release 8.0.5.0.0 - Production
CORE Version 4.0.5.0.0 - Production
TNS for Linux: Version 8.0.5.0.0 - Production NLSRTL Version 3.3.2.0.0 - Production
5 rows selected.
SVRMGR> As for the 2 GB filesize limit, most operating systems can't handle files that big - hence, you would simply use smaller files, end of problem.

The linux kernel developers are currently looking at huge filesize support and any other area which would prevent linux from dominating the server market, so rest assured, that is being addressed.

> I am developping a pilot project of a datamart having as objective to be an
> evaluation of a possible bigger project. Oracle is the #1 candidate to
> database, but I have to evaluate it with a _very small_ budget, so I
> consider Linux edition.

> Any drawbacks?

You may end up just keeping it on Linux, thus depriving some other companies of OS licensing fees...

js Received on Mon Dec 28 1998 - 02:44:58 CET

Original text of this message