Re: Installing Oracle 7.3.2 Workgroup Server on HP 715 running 10.20

From: Rita and Casper <schenk_at_nbnet.REMOVETHIS.nb.ca>
Date: 1998/12/16

impu007_at_yahoo.com (Impu) writes:

>> For sometimes, I've been trying to learn Oracle, but reading
>>documentation wasn't helping (actually, I wasn't sure what really to
>>learn). So, after long search I found a workgroup server CD Workgroup
>>Server 7.3.2.3 for 9000 series HPUX (mine is running under 10.20
>>(Its the copy HP freely distributing to upgrade from 9x-10x which I
>>hope has all the required patches) and Cleint (for Windows NT) CD

Should install ok. You'll definitely need some patches depending on the hardware. I don't have any 715s running Oracle, so I can't give you a probable list. You can download the patches for free from HP.

[snip]

Note, you didn't actually set ORACLE_TERM, but that's probably not your problem...

>>ORACLE_BASE=/usr/oracle
>>ORACLE_HOME=$ORACLE_BASE/product/7.2.3
>>ORACLE_SID=test
>>export ORACLE_BASE ORACLE_HOME ORACLE_SID ORACLE_TERM

[snip]

>>4. change to root again and mount the cdrom drive
>>mount /dev/dsk/c0t2d0 /cdrom

My instructions (well, ok, I haven't looked recently) say to user pfsd to mount the cd. This gives mixed-case and long file names. Then you can just run orainst from the cd. The 'make links' things were for 7.2.X, for 7.3.x (where x is 3, I haven't installed 0,1 or 2) you use pfsd to mount the cd. Try man pfsd and man pfs_mount. You have to make an /etc/pfstab file. For me the install was a breeze, so long as the cd was mounted with pfsd.

Hope this helps.

Ciao,
Casper

--
Paul Schenk 		schenk at nbnet dot nb dot ca
        Verbing weirds language. - Calvin