Re: Kill User Idle

From: Dan Fugett <solutions_at_fugettconsulting.com>
Date: 1998/12/15

NociC:

I am not familiar with Oracle, per se, but I am familiar with applications running under UNIX. Typically, one does not want to kill a process that has an open file because that file will not close correctly. Automatically killing an application needs to be considered very carefully because of the potential for data corruption.

Although I would advise against it, I suppose one could create a script that checks every 6 minutes for users inactive (idle) 5 minutes and kills that process.

However, one could more appropriately write a script to check for the same idle users and create a logfile. After so many times of being idle, some message could be displayed or printed allowing SA to make the actual decision of what to do.

Dan Fugett