Re: install ORACLE8

From: Bhanu Gogineni <gobhanu_at_ameritech.net>
Date: 1998/11/15

We have just finished upgrading from 7.1.6(AIX) to 8.0.4(NT4), using exp/imp without any major hassles. My suggestion would be exp/imp even though you are not changing the platform as in our case. You can break up the dmp file into smaller pieces using pipes on UNIX. Yes, exp/imp is time consuming, but it is by far the safest way to migrate between versions.

In short this is what you may want to do, 1. Create the new db (O8) on the new box. 2. Create the tablespaces on the new db to match the ones on the old db.( this step is optional only if you, for any reason want to re-org your datafiles on the new box, I suggest that you re-org to conform to the OFA standards if not so already).
3. Make a full exp of the old db (use pipe method to break up the dmp file into smaller files).
4. Move the exp dmp files on to the new box. 5. Make a full imp with IGNORE=Y( this will allow you to use the existing tablespaces).

A couple of issues you need to look out during this procedure are, a) O8 handles rowid's very differently than O7, you may have to user DBMS_ROWID package provided with O8 to convert O7 rowid's to O8 format, if any of your tables use rowid as a column. b) Any packages in the old db using rowid's will be invalid after the import, which need to be recompiled after step a). c) Special care has to be taken if your old db has tables with columns defined as LONG. The import will fail or be improper on such tables.( Look up docs to fix this problem).

Hope that helps, wish you luck.