Re: Informix tables into Oracle

From: Jerry Gitomer <jgitomer_at_ictgroup.com>
Date: 1998/10/09

Hi Anders,

    For each of the tables you want to port run the following two programs and put the output in the same directory:

        Create text files from Informix tables using unload. (End the file name with .dat)

        Run dbschema -d <database_name> -t <table_name> -p -ss <table_name>.sql

    Next exit the <table_name>.sql file(s). Delete the first two lines and you are left with a create table statement. You will find that the syntax for constraints is somewhat different and that you will have to edit them. The only other editing you will have to do is to delete or change the in dbspace and extent clauses. (I set up defaults for the users default tablespace and don't bother using them).

    Create the Oracle tables. The easiest way is to start up sqlplus from the directory containing the *.sql files you created and then run them one at a time using:

        _at_<table_name>

    Next build Oracle SQL*Loader control files for each table using the model and name them using the pattern <table_name>.ctl :

        LOAD DATA
        INFILE '<full_path_name>'
        BADFILE '<full_path_name>.bad'
        INSERT INTO TABLE <table_name>
        FIELDS TERMINATED BY '|'
        (
            user_id            VARCHAR2(12),
            user_name    VARCHAR2(20),
            group_name    VARCHAR2(10)
        )

    Finally, run the SQL*Loader from the directory with the data files using the command:

        sqlldr <user>/<password> control=<table_name>

regards

Jerry