Re: switch sybase to oracle

From: Tom C. Lampo <tomclampo_at_mediaone.net>
Date: Sat, 12 Sep 1998 06:45:55 -0500

You might want to consider placing each Sybase database as a separate schema in Oracle. If you had as reason to separate the tables in Sybase, you probably want to separate them in Oracle. The placement of these tables into one or more tablespaces will depend on your backup and recovery plans. In Sybase, you are able to backup/restore each database. This is true for Oracle, but you are placing all of your tables into one database. If you are using Oracle 8, recovery of a single tablespace will be an option so you will want to place your objects into tablespaces based on backup/recovery needs (each Sybase db into separate tablespaces from the other Sybase db). If you are using Oracle 7, partial recovery is not an option unless you use Oracle export/import for backup and recovery. Export/import will be simplied if you go with each Sybase db as a separate Oracle Schema. With export/import, the tablespace placement is not so important, but I would go with separate tablespaces for each schema since this will position you to use Oracle 8 TS point in time recovery features.

There will be no problem with your triggers accessing any object within your Oracle database once you set up the security.