Re: Sybase V/S Oracle

From: Paul A. Horan <paulh_at_nospam.twoplus.com>
Date: 1998/08/21

Ash,
A lot depends on the size of your projected user community. If you're going to be under 50 concurrent users, I'd seriously evaluate SQL Anywhere 6.0 for NT from Sybase.
The price/performance curve is off the scale compared to MS SQL Server or Oracle, and it runs pretty well without the need for a full-time DBA. If you're going to have to support a larger "concurrent" user base, then you move into the realm of the enterprise-class databases, and the Sybase vs. Oracle vs. Informix debate becomes one of features and speed vs cost and support infrastructure..

Paul Horan
VCI
Springfield, MA