Re: case insensitivity in database creation and SQL statements

From: Joel Garry <joelga_at_pebble.org>
Date: Fri, 21 Aug 1998 21:32:03 GMT

On Fri, 21 Aug 1998 12:59:43 -0400, Ramin Sepehr Rad <ras_at_aa.alma.net> wrote:

>We are running Oracle 8 on Solaris 2.5.1 running on sparc.
>
>How do I create a database that is case insensitive? I believe that ANSI
>SQL requires such capability and Oracle is supposedly ANSI/OSI compliant. (I
>have never read the standard.)

You can make everything uppercase, if you must.

>Also, if I do a SELECT on a field that is indexed, but I use the "upper"
>function, does that still take advantage of the index? I was told by our
>dba that this SELECT statement will surf the whole table.

Your dba is correct. You can have a second field all uppercased and indexed, though.

>Thanks,
>-ramin

Try asking this question in comp.databases.oracle.server for more information.

jg

--
These opinions are my own and not necessarily those of Information Quest or
Pebble In The Sky http://www.informationquest.com mailto:jgarry_at_nospameiq.com