Safe to change number field precision ?

From: Johan Nilsson <jni_at_esrange.ssc.se.--->
Date: 1998/08/20

Hi,

Oracle 7.3 : if I've created a table using something like ...

CREATE TABLE "X"."Y"
(

FIELD0 DATE CONSTRAINT pk_x_y_field0 PRIMARY KEY, FIELD1 NUMBER(10,2) NOT NULL,
FIELD2 NUMBER(10,2) NOT NULL)
TABLESPACE YDATA; ... and then insert records into the table, is it then safe to alter the precision of the fields to three decimals as follows :

ALTER TABLE "X"."Y" MODIFY
(FIELD1 NUMBER(10,3) NOT NULL,

FIELD2 NUMBER(10,3) NOT NULL); Is the above syntax correct? Do I need to specify 'NOT NULL' when modifying the fields? Can I lose any data due to this?

Thanks // Johan

If replying by e-mail, please remove the spam protection '.---' from the end of my return address. Received on Thu Aug 20 1998 - 00:00:00 CEST

Original text of this message