Re: Sybase V/S Oracle

From: Gregg Floren <gfloren_at_teleport.com>
Date: 1998/08/18

Regarding support...

  Can't comment on Informix.

  Our Sybase is supplied by a third party vendor, so I can't comment on support from Sybase, but my limited dealings with them (buying documentation) have generally been positive. And I think this newsgroup is one of the best on the net.

   We pay a HUGE amount of our support budget to Oracle and I have to say that the old joke "No matter what support you pay for, Bronze, Silver, Gold, or Platinum... You always get pathetic" has certainly held true in our case. If you get Oracle, your DBA type person will definately be spending a lot of time on the phone. I don't know how the other vendors license, but to keep your Oracle license, you have to keep paying for support.

Since any one of them would probably be technically capable, I would want to look at some other issues, like cost, support, and long term viability of the company. These thing probably aren't going to be on web pages. Unfortunately, I don't think considering these issues point you to a clear winner.

In article <35D51749.19D8_at_hotmail.com>, ashbrk_at_hotmail.com says...