Re: crontabs

From: Jeremy Mathers <pynq_at_midway.uchicago.edu>
Date: 1998/08/15

In article <35D54F77.40D73644_at_chat.ru>, Vitaly Kroivets <Vitaly_Kroivets_at_chat.ru> wrote:
>Chad Cunningham wrote:
>
>> I have a crontab set to run a perl script every 15 minutes. For some
>> reason, it feels the need to send me an e-mail telling me of the result
>> of my crontab. How can I persuede it not to do this?
>
> I think that if you will put MAILTO="" at beginnning of crontab , it
>will not email you ..

Having been down this road many times before, the best solution is to put:

        exec >> $HOME/Logs/`date +\%y\%m\%d`.log 2>&1;

at the beginning of the command field of your crontab entry.

Trust me; you won't be sorry.

	"Soon, the Microsoft Network will be full of 10,000,000 clueless
	 newbies with nothing to do and with money to waste (*).  As a
	 marketer, who could ask for anything more?"  (me)

	(*) They bought WIN95, didn't they?

	- pynq_at_quads.uchicago.edu, who is still costing the net
	  hundreds, if not thousands, of dollars, every time he posts -
rwvpf wpnrrj ibf ijrfer Received on Sat Aug 15 1998 - 00:00:00 CEST

Original text of this message